I'm back to writing a poem every day, whether they stink or not.

Sunday, October 02, 2005

Wreck Anniversary

The first day that felt like autumn was the second
anniversary of the wreck. The one that took my dad
and dumped him in a ditch, as boken as the bike.
I spent a lot of time on my porch not remembering,
with Isabel urging me into games with plastic rules.
I drove home from work that night in the cool
window air and felt the wheel of seasons click over
another time. This was another fall coming
when I wansn't looking; another summer I lived
and sweated through until the days waned
enough to bleed the grass pale and sallow.

But I haven't told you that my dad survived.
He's in his Eden now with Mom
building a mansion with one room and as many
windows as they could find. He sent me a picture
that day with a note that said he'd forgotten
the wreck until they started driving home.
It's a place just north of here where I doubt
anyone could think much of the past. It's a place
made of eons of future and ages of present time.

No comments: