I'm back to writing a poem every day, whether they stink or not.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Kyobancha

The tea smells like pipe tobacco.
The smoky aroma comes from an extra
firing to which to producer treats the leaves.

My dad smoked a pipe for a time.
Maybe I drank several cups
of that tea out of nostalgia
for an old nausea I’d lost,
one wrapped in the pleasant pill
a deep reaching memory.

My first girlfriend smoked.
You can learn to love the musk
of cold tobacco smoke when it comes
to you in lover’s lust-drunk mouth.

So here’s the cup of displeasure
I steeped from the fallen leaves
of memories that are filling back in
with the stink and boredom that only
brews in the present cup. I drank
it a few days and gave the rest away.

1 comment:

Gerald (SK14) said...

As a contributor to Ukku Spring Haiku
I'd like to send you an invitation to join

Falling Leaves
,
a collection of haiku, senryu, tanka, haibun, haiga and other works celebrating the season of autumn as it enfolds.

It will run from August 1st to October 30th 2006.

The administrators of the blog are J Andrew Lockhart and Gerald England.

If you wish to contribute then please contact either administrator or use the form at
http://www.geraldengland.co.uk/fl.htm
and we'll be pleased to send you an official invitation.