I'm back to writing a poem every day, whether they stink or not.

Sunday, September 10, 2006

An Ode to False Love: Calling the AT&T Help Line

After fierce phone-battles with endless representatives
strung out in lines of networked webs where somewhere
in the cloud of thread there’s a moth caught and ready to be bound...
I came to Clair. I will call her Clair for her clarity,
because she told me “yes” and “no” in precisely
the right way, and that “no” I didn’t need to pay.
I said my phone battery would soon die, and then it did.
Our love did not end in a reluctant truce of warring hearts.
We were cut at the green root by the mechanical blade of fate.
She is now the rose hung bud-down with the black petals,
but I tell you they were once Phoenix-feather red
and the thorns could draw painless blood from your hand.

2 comments:

Eric Dutton said...

There shouldn't be a line break before "bound..." Bloggers lines aren't as long as mine are. I hope I can fix that.

Identity Crisis said...

this doesn't stink..;]