I'm back to writing a poem every day, whether they stink or not.

Monday, December 12, 2005

Darkness and Light

for Jason Miskell

The way you loved darkness was like the way
I saw the stars yesterday, miles outside of town.

I think you wanted to extinguish every flame,
every lamp and candle, so you could have only
the light that survives the violence of this world.

You said you wanted to get a permit to carry
a broadsword with you wherever you went.
Is there anything left to fight with a sword?
Are you out there guarding the darkness
and re-killing the old armies that fell there?

They say you can see a candle flame through
miles of darkness. I don’t know if there’s enough
darkness left, enough respite from the glare
of all the unclosed eyes in this world, to see
if that candle is still lit, if someone took it
out of the window and pinched it to the wick.

I don’t think any news I might hear about you
would surprise me now, but no one has any news.

The last I heard, you were in Wichita and dying.
That was a long time ago.

And just in case you’re wondering about me,
I havn't heard anything. I could be anywhere,
but nothing here in the dark and the light
would surprise me anymore.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There's a Jason Miskell in the Wichita phonebook. :) Is it suprising that he would have something so mundane as a telephone?