I'm back to writing a poem every day, whether they stink or not.

Saturday, December 03, 2005

Killing Animals

I set up a plastic mouse trap and left the house.
When I came back, I’d caught one. The trap
hadn’t even broken the skin, but the mouse
was dead and I was grateful for the bloodless
counter top and the peaceful look on the mouse’s
face when I dropped him into the trash can.
He still had a peanut in his mouth.

If I should ever have to kill a man, I hope
it will happen the same way: bloodless
and quick, no visible injuries, an open
casket funeral, and a look on his face
that made it seem possible I’d just done him
a great charity–that I’d taken him before
his life got any worse, before he could do
whatever it was I had to kill him for
trying to do–hope still shining in his eyes.

1 comment:

Eric Dutton said...

Sometimes you write a poem my telling a little story and then seeing what the story tells you. Then you think, what was that story thinking?