I'm back to writing a poem every day, whether they stink or not.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Homemade Kite for My Daughter

I made it out of clothes-hanger wire
and wrapping paper. The string
came from two balloons we'd left
hiding in a corner of the ceiling.
For more string, I used thread, it
was all I had. Then we took it outside.

I pulled it against the wind and let it go.
It stayed just above head-level
and jumped left and right. It dove
at the ground and back up. It tuned
backwards and inside out. Once
it jumped up higher than the house
and crashed hard into the grass.
It was like something that never
wanted to be born. It raged against
the line until the thread snapped, then
it fell easily to the ground.
The paper was torn, the glue and tape
gave. It was clearly done. This
was like many moments in life.
I took it in and set it aside, grateful.

1 comment:

Squamish Writers Group said...

Kites! I used to hate the things - never got off the ground, kids crying. The last one, though, was magic - and we could get it to wave at us, dip, flip, and then wave again.

I really enjoyed these lines

It was like something that never
wanted to be born. It raged against
the line until the thread snapped

Jude