I'm back to writing a poem every day, whether they stink or not.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Packing for the Hike

I’ll need a knife and a small saw,
a lighter, a metal cup, a pen,
a flashlight, and silverware.
I might take a book, but which one.
I won’t take a book; I’ll
take a blank book and a pen.
I already have the pen.
I’ll need a bowl, I forgot
the bowl last year and regretted it.
I forgot about food.
Granola bars, peanut butter, oatmeal,
nuts, dried fruit, candy, canned fish...
...I’ll need toilet paper,
toothpicks, mouthwash and bug spray.
I might need rope. Of course I’ll need
rope. What for? How much?
Forget the rope. What about
tea? I want as much tea as possible.
Alcohol? What kind? How much?
Should I bring the cell phone in case...?
No. No phone. Simplicity; stark
angular, simplicity!
Or comradery. A guitar
and lots of that alcohol.
A sleeping bag big enough
for two, just in case. And soap.
Soap and toothpaste and mouthwash.
No phone, though. Meditation.
No sleeping bag. A hammock!
Or my arm and my coat. I’ll go out
ahead of everyone and sleep
on the other side of the rocks.
Or, just in case, whatever comes up,
I’ll pack for each way. I’ll walk out
with strong legs and sore shoulders.
I’ll carry a garden of minds
in the five pocket on my pack.

No comments: