I'm back to writing a poem every day, whether they stink or not.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

The Half-Mast Flag

The post office flag hung at half mast
but I felt no sorrow. Why is my country
mourning? The wind had wrapped
the fire station flag around the top,
the stripes like a barber pole. It seems
the country is divided. All at once,
it’s dizzy in the thin air of pride
and fallen down on it’s hard knees weeping.
I’m here again, impassible and happy
on my porch with a cup of strong tea,
watching the train of my nation pull away
from the platform where I stand waving
at the wallet-sized snapshot windows.
I'll call the post office and ask them why.
I’ll get back on the train when it comes around.
I might even tell the firemen the reason,
and we can all rend our garments
and feel like brothers who’ve lost
something, someone we both need.

10 comments:

sangeet said...

Hi Eric,

Just to say hello, and to say I have been enjoying reading your work here..hope the sleeping patterns are better..

Sangeet

Carol said...

Hi Eric,
My name is Carol and I am the conductor of the Friends of the Friendless Marching Band.
I choose a friendless site to feature every Friendly Friday.
You have been nominated for the featured site this week.
Being nominated as a friendless site only means that someone thinks your blog
doesn’t get enough comments and wants you singled out to get more attention.
I hope you will come play along.

J. Andrew Lockhart said...

very nice blog!! good poetry, too!

FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

That was beautiful of the half mast flag.
Hello! I'm here marching along with the FFMB with my organ.

wandi said...

Hello. I'm here with the FFMB. I really love your poem. Happy friday.

Lazy Daisy said...

Marching through with the band. Hope you caught up on your sleep. Nice site.

mompoet said...

Hey Eric, I'm mompoet. I'm in Carol's band too (kazoo). I think your poems are definitely the opposite of stink! Keep writing, but maybe try doing it in the morning?
Welcome to the band. I hope you'll march with us.
mp

Unknown said...

Eric - I'm here with the band. Nice poetry. I know what you mean about short days.

Eric Dutton said...

Thank you all so much. I'm still writing but I haven't been posting much because it's really the computer that's keeping me up late. A lot of things are changing right now and I should be back on top of things soon.

Carol said...

Eric,
I totally understand what you are saying about staying up late.
If you are able to, we sure would like to have you join our friendly band. See my Friday posts for more info.

It doesn't matter whether you are writing one poem a day or one a week, just don't stop!