I'm back to writing a poem every day, whether they stink or not.

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Witless

I have the wisdom of fools today
and my wit is a cicada in the earth.
We're sitting with our drinks between us
and I want to make you happy the way
the witless and unwise  try to make
happiness, out of laughter and long
hugs, out of memories, and floral praise.

Here is a story I've told you before.
You laughed and looked like a saint
when you heard it the first time. I notice
you pretending you've never heard it now.
Let me take the ring from your finger;
here is a ring for you. Here are the best
times I can remember, tied up
in new ribbons and given to you again.
I'm practicing for next time. I'll come
out of the earth and cover your heart with wings.

4 comments:

Sarah Beth said...

That was nice.

--nobody girl marching in with the FFMB ... have a wonderful weekend!

ardi k said...

This gives me much to think about. I like it. "...practicing for next time." The cycles of life are real to all, as we see the natural order of earth and love.

David Edward said...

im trying to catch up with the FFMB - ahve you seen which way they went?

Carol said...

This way, David!