I'm back to writing a poem every day, whether they stink or not.

Friday, April 14, 2006

Hometown

Your hometown is there like a holy land.
When you’re living far away, you always
know which in which direction it lies.
You want to aim yourself like a laser
toward its white water tower and feel
it like its looking back from its flat
plot a land that’s still a little wild in its yards.

When you meet someone from your hometown,
someone you never met when you lived there,
you both know you need to break bread.
You’ll go to work late for it. You’ll miss the bus.
If you can tell you don’t like each other,
you still remember the Plaza Café together,
a shibboleth. Somehow, you owe each other something.

1 comment:

Melissa Fite Johnson said...

Whoa, Eric, I haven't read your blog in about a week, but somehow I managed to write a poem called "Hometown" within days of yours. I swear I didn't copy! I was trying to write a poem called "This Town's Love Song," but my images weren't lovely enough. So "Hometown" was it.