I'm back to writing a poem every day, whether they stink or not.

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Poems That Fail

Some poems start as the piece of road
that, stone by stone, inherits the ghost
of one that crumbled underneath
the dandelions ages ago.
But then it moves to the steady cows
by the roadside and the gray pond
with a reflection of some
invisible hawk skating across
its smooth, windless skin.
Maybe by now you want to know
what happened to the dandelions
and where the old road with the ghost led.
Well, the dandelions grow
by the cow pond in the field by
the side of the new road. Dandelions
are growing over the sidewalk outside.
And the new road with the old ghost–
which isn’t hosting a ghost at all, but is
simply allowing you to let it
represent the “ghost” of the old road–
doesn’t go anywhere that would make
you think of the old road at all.
By now you may not trust this poem.
Something vital is missing from it.
Why the pond and the bird at all?
And why can’t you see the bird in the sky?
And what is that hanging from his talons?

3 comments:

Squamish Writers Group said...

A couple of playful poems from you Eric. I enjoyed following the poet down the rabbit hole.

"Old Road" is actually a concept that played a big part in my childhood. I'm thinking I'll write an 'old road' poem tonight - only 4 more poems to go for me to reach 30 in 30 (Blueline) -

(I don't put them all up on my blog - some aren't worthy )

Jude

PS - when did you change your blog name to Poems that Fail? I changed mine to Poems about Nothing. What is it about us?

Eric Dutton said...

I didn't change the name of the blog. Did Blogger show it that way? That is a fun idea though. I could start another blog and call it "Poems that Fail," but I'd hate to have to decide where to put each poem.

Squamish Writers Group said...

Oh wait, it's at the top of this page, but that's because it's the name of the poem we are commenting on.

OK, go ahead, say 'duh'