I'm back to writing a poem every day, whether they stink or not.

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Love Note to Me, from Me

You’ve been thinking of yourself a lot.
I want you to think of yourself. Imagine
yourself any way you want, it’s ok.
You may give yourself brown eyes, which
I know you like. Give yourself the dark
or the red hair; I know you like them both.
But leave your voice the same, that’s for me.
You’ve been too tired lately; sit here,
let me close your eyes. If you fall
asleep, dream of me. Dream of me
from a thousand angles. I’m your
reflection in the dew on the leaves.
I watch you with thousands of eyes.
Don’t think lightly of me. I’ll go
through death with you and on
to whatever you find when it ends.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what happened to NOT writing about ourselves...i like this one!

Pat Paulk said...

made me think of my father when my mother died. Saw a caring gentle side of him never knew was there. Very good Eric!!

Eric Dutton said...

This is actually a technique I use to purge a bad habit from my writing; I write a poem that indulges in that habit with impunity.
Years ago I did this with the world "soul." I was tired of seeing it in my poems, so I wrote a short poem that used the word a dozen times. I felt a lot better. I do use the word soul, but not obsessively as I did then.
Thanks for keeping me on my toes, Am..., er, I mean anonymous.