I'm back to writing a poem every day, whether they stink or not.

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Routine

My daughter goes to bed by the drumbeat
of routine: snack, brush, story, poems,
prayers, hug, kiss, I love you, good night.
It works so well that when she isn’t
tired, she sings herself to sleep.

But I also like the times that she makes
the drum's heart skip. I can see in how
she smiles that she’s listening to it
in her head. So when she says “one more
story” it’s to hear the poem's chant
echo out of dead air in the bedroom.
When she wants more poems, it’s to hear
the darkness pray out on its own.

I imagine this for her, of course.
What else could I do when she laughs
and says “no kiss, no hug,” but pretend
she’s balancing them both in the air
just above her small, tired body
and waiting until her eyes are just
about to close to let them drop down.

3 comments:

Melissa Fite Johnson said...

Ooh, good. I like the implied double meaning of "pray"--little stuff like that--but what I really love is the subtle sadness. I love that the speaker turns "no kiss, no hug" into a skipped heartbeat of their routine. Very nice.

Oh, and today I took a half day, so I posted during work time. But the other days, nope--my timer is off. For example, I am posting this at 1:21 a.m., and this will say very differently. I fear this problem will catch up with me, and people at work may hunt me down for breaking the strict "no personal internet" policy.

Melissa Fite Johnson said...

OK, never mind. It posted a very close time. I am shamed.

Little Onion said...

Eric - I enjoyed this very much.

There is a haibun-like quality to the prose poem. The here and now of it putting the reader with you.

Do you write any haibun with a linking haiku perhaps to follow the prosepoem element? This said I contend that some haibun are haibun even without a haiku or tanka... but usually with...

midnight's kiss
the slow up and down
of my son's chest

Little Onion